Friday, May 9, 2008

15 Minute Meals

You've heard of 30 minute meals -- I've just decided I like 15 minute meals even better, so I'm striving to find ways to get some meals on my menu that incorporate the last minute meals without eating fast food and without eating prepared food! My first menu happened by accident this Thursday when I looked at the clock and realized I had 15 minutes to get a meal to the table. The salmon was already thawed (or nearly), the asparagus was trimmed, and the couscous was in the box, but it was time to put it into high gear! I seasoned the salmon and put it into the oven at 350 degrees. Meanwhile, I rinsed the asparagus and filled a small amount of water in a pan and placed them into the pan. I then measured the water and couscous and began to boil the water for the couscous after 5 minutes of the salmon cooking had passed. I placed the couscous in the boiling water with some butter and took that off the burner (it needs to sit 5 minutes to complete the cooking process).

Just as I put the couscous into the boiling water, I turned the burner on for the asparagus and once that water started to boil, I placed the lid on top and turned it down to simmer. With 5 minutes left on the clock for the salmon, I checked to make sure it was almost cooked, set the table, got the drinks and hot pads on the table. I toasted the walnuts for the asparagus, got out the balsamic vinegarette (spray) dressing and gorgonzola cheese and placed them on the table. I checked the salmon after 15 minutes, took it out of the oven, placed it on a plate to serve, put the couscous and asparagus on the table and voila! A healthy and nutritional meal in 15 minutes! My kids LOVED it! The asparagus almost appeared to be gourmet -- wow and it was all done in 15 minutes!

I love 15 minute meals and will look for more ideas and post them as I discover ways to get a healthy meal on the table in a shorter amount of time than you can drive to, order and receive a fast food order!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly