Friday, September 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Pie Crust with BUTTER

I'd been looking for a pie crust that doesn't use shortening and my niece Angie sent this to me. We tried it and was it ever good. It wasn't as flaky as other pie crusts, but perhaps I didn't make it right. It was still delicious and had a nutty flavor because of the whole wheat flour.

2 cups whole white wheat flour (recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, chilled
6-8 Tbsp. ice water

Directions
Combine flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Cut the chilled butter into the dry ingredients (I cut up the butter, then added it and used a pastry blender. I imagine you could use a food processor, but I didn't.) Be sure to cut the butter into the flour so it resembles coarse meal or has small pea-sized pieces.

Next drizzle ice water over the flour mixture one Tablespoon at a time. Knead slightly on floured board. Divide dough into two pieces and wrap each in a plastic wrap and refrigerate about 30 minutes before rolling. If you leave in the fridge too long, you may need to microwave dough about 15 seconds on 30% (or defrost cycle).
 Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Line your 9 inch pie pan and place in refrigerator while rolling out the second one or while making its filling.

Makes 2 pie crusts or 1 pie with 2 crusts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly