Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Treasures of Being a Stay-at-Home Mom

I am reminded every day when I homeschool that I could have wealth and riches and maybe be out of debt (although most people are never satisfied), but God is more interested in people than stuff. Investing principles require us to have faith that what we've invested in will have expected results. If we are blessed, we will get more than we expected; however, if we neglect our investments, we will be disappointed in the outcome or performance.
 

Some investments just don't work out as planned, but if you make an effort, doing the best possible, you are never a failure. Sometimes you must balance difficult  investments against something that will bring positive results. However, you can never "bank" on your investments since results are not guaranteed. You take a risk and they may not turn out as you intended, but you can make the best effort and never give up.

That is how it is with children. Results are not guaranteed, but if you keep trying and never give up you will reap the benefits of long-term investing. Some children are easy investments that have innumerable results, others take longer, and we may never fully realize the outcome until decades later. We cannot always see that in either case, the investment of our time, attention, and devotion, not to mention the sacrifice is worth more than silver or gold.

Many children wish they had parents that cared and loved them more than pursuing a career, money, fame, and the "stuff" of this world. I have something money cannot buy.  I have a husband who loves me, sacrifces for me, and has a servant heart. I have children who have morals, leadership skills (albeit, different from each other), and a sense of being loved even when they aren't lovely. My children have often thanked me, but they have also gotten frustrated with me too. But they know and I know that "Love covers a multitude of sins."

My children are in the minority. They have two parents, a mom who stays home, a dad who owns his own business so he can be involved in their lives, and a home to live in. We eat 21 meals a week from groceries we pay for without government assistance -- most of them gathered around the dining room table. They have chores to do and don't get an allowance. We give them opportunities, but don't buy their affection, and more importantly, we don't stay so busy that we have no time just to sit around and enjoy each other's company. We play games, walk around the block, spontaneously jump in the car to get a late-night treat.

We may be in the minority, but in the end, through the sacrifice and sorrow that sometimes comes with being a homeschooler, and stay-at-home mom, we all realize one thing -- God sees and he is pleased. God doesn't think it is a waste of time to hug your child, sing or play a song, laugh at a joke, watch a movie or read a book together. He never intended women to pursue their own agenda, he intended us to raise our children up to serve Him and train up our children in the way they should go. He intended us to be keepers of our home and be an example to our daughters. We are also to be an example to our sons, modeling to them how to love, serve, and be honored as a husband should. Hopefully my sons will honor and love their wives and find a wife that would do the same for them.

God's priorities are not the world's priorities and I am thankful for that. I am thankful that my husband wants me to fulfill my role as a wife and mother. I am thankful for children who can look at a sunset and be in awe or not be ashamed to have me be in their presence around their friends. I am thankful that God allows us time to get to know each other and love our children and our children love us, flaws and all. I am thankful that the Lord has never looked at the small sacrifices I make each day and thought they were a waste of time. Instead, he has called me blessed. And I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly