Saturday, August 11, 2012

Summer Bruschetta

I don't use a recipe for bruschetta, but the basic ingredients are:

1 bunch fresh basil (chopped),
2-3 home-grown fresh tomatoes (chopped),
1/2 c. red onion (chopped),
 2-4 cloves of garlic (minced),
then add salt, freshly ground black pepper,
red wine vinegar
olive oil
1-2 Tbsp. high quality red wine
 
I usually do two parts red wine vinegar to one part olive oil, but I've never measured it -- so I could be way off!. I also added a splash of a good quality red wine and it was better than I've ever made it.
 
Because of the salt, the tomatoes will juice and the juice is great when you dip fresh bread into it. 
 
I usually allow the flavors to marry for at least a half hour to an hour on the counter before we eat it -- just enough time to preheat the oven, warm some french bread and/or toast it. 
 
Variety -- toast the french bread and lightly scrape fresh garlic over it when it is done toasting, then top with bruschetta.
 
Another variety -- Use freshly baked french bread cooled slightly, topped with a thin slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, topped with bruschetta and a drizzle of the "juice" from the bruschetta mixture.The cheese melts a little because the bread is still warm.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly