Monday, July 1, 2013

Homespun Fresh Raspberry Tart




Pastry Dough
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter (not unsalted), cut into 6 pieces
3 Tbsp. milk

Filling:
10-12 oz. fresh raspberries
5 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. AP flour
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Using a food processor to make the pastry dough, place flour, sugar in the food processor and process for 10 seconds to blend. Turn off the food processor and add butter, spreading around evenly on top of the flour-sugar mixture. Process until it has a coarse texture, but not creamed (about 15 seconds). Add the milk evenly and process for about 30 seconds or until a soft ball forms. Do not over-process dough.

Gather up dough and make a ball and then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator at least 1 hour to allow the gluten in the flour to relax.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Once chilled, cut a piece of parchment paper to fit on a pan (I used my round pizza stone). Flatten dough into a 11-12 inch circle, taking care to turn it so it doesn't stick, but not too much flour to dry out the dough. I rolled mine on the parchment paper to make it easier to roll out. Dough will be fragile and may crack, but repair cracks and continue to roll dough evenly. Once it is done, set aside while making the filling.

In a small bowl, add raspberries and flour and stir to evenly distribute. Add sugar (use more or less depending upon the sweetness of the berries). and lemon zest and give a gentle stir.


Pile the raspberries in the middle of the dough, leaving 1 1/2 inch around the edge of the circle. Turn the dough over the top of the raspberry filling, leaving an opening of raspberry mixture. Evenly pour the butter over the dough and raspberry filling.

Bake for 20-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and raspberries begin to bubble.

Remove tart from pan and cool taking care not to break the tart! Transferring the tart via the parchment paper is the easiest way to do this. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Serve with fresh-whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Makes enough to feed 4-6 people.

**Try with other berries...blueberries, blackberries, black raspberries, etc. There are endless possibilities to use other fruit, but flour and sugar measurements will need to be adjusted depending upon how much liquid each fruit produces and how sweet the fruit is
.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! Camille, I didn't know you had a blog! What a yummy creation. Do you have your own bushes in the backyard? We got a hold of an Arapaho blackberry and somehow didn't think about planting it on a arched cattle panel near the raspberries! I do hope that they don't cross-pollinate...I think I read that somewhere :( We'll see...
    Have a blessed week, friend :) Say 'Hi' to David for us!
    BTW, I am loving looking through your blog and hope to return to read more of these wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your comment (so sorry, I don't get notified). We have black raspberry bushes, but our raspberry bushes did not survive the Japanese Beetles that continually fed on them. Both were from my parent's home in Wisconsin. I know you have to keep the raspberry and black raspberry bushes separated (which I did). I love to save favorite recipes on my blog. I'm doing it for my boys, mostly and for family who may want to try some of my family recipes. I hope you enjoy my blog. Like cooking, it's just a fun hobby for me.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly